It's 8:30pm in Silicon Valley. I've had a couple glasses of wine. So to share with you a bit of the evening-at-SciFoo vibe, here I give you some punchlines from the session by Brian Malow, Science Comedian:
- We're trashing the planet - and we don't even have space travel. Doesn't that seem backwards? FIRST, perfect interstellar flight, THEN fuck up the home planet! It just makes better sense.
- Life is meaningless, a biochemical accident. We're pond scum, a temporary manifestation of the evolving DNA molecule - a long chain of nucleotides with a day job.
- I don't believe in a Supreme Being or even a Deluxe Being... maybe a Being with Extra Cheese.
- Frontiers are dangerous, just ask Marie Curie.
- That joke was endothermic.
- Chimps don't have lips like ours ...you know ...lips like sugar.
- There was a guy at the airport who talked so loud (on his cell phone) it was like his last phone was a Dixie Cup and string.
- If Karma exists it's clearly in the Beta Phase. And most likely it's vaporware.
- The reason we do so much drugs and alcohol is because we have these big brains - we know too much. And the main thing we know is: we have knowledge of our own mortality (I don't mean that as a spoiler). We know we're gonna die. And the other animals are spared that. No wonder dogs are so happy-go-lucky, they have no idea Death lurks around every corner.... although Chihuahuas are kinda scared, I think they know something....