Update: Welcome Pharyngula readers! After you look at the animation below, please stick around, explore the blog and learn more about our project to build a sailing replica of the HMS Beagle, the little ship that changed the world.
A fortnight ago we launched a caption contest for the provocative image below, originally taken from Time's negative review of Expelled. We received twenty-six highly humorous entries, but there was one that towered, marble head and shoulders, above the rest, both for its comic value and also for the amount of work involved in realising it.
And so, without further ado, I give you the (slightly fishy-smelling) hands down winner; it's an animation by the geniuses over at Eclectech called "Ben Stein meets Darwin". Click the image below to view the animation, then come on back and read the runners-up below.
CLICK IMAGE TO SEE ANIMATION
And now for the best text entries, as judged by an expert panel of me, in order of submission:
- 'When I behold an entangled crank...' (Peter Mc)
- SI MONUMENTUM REQUIRIS, CIRCUMSPICE. (Richard Carter FCD)
- Origin of species meets origin of specious. (Peter Mc)
- Ascent Of Man Meets Ass End Of Man (Anonymous)
- "Ben. Kiss my ass." (Greg Laden)
- "On my statue, I will have only the initials, "BS" (Colin Purrington)
- 'Darwin ... Darwin ... Darwin.' (Sid Leavitt)
- ROFNHML* (Peter Mc)
*an elaboration of the commonly used web shorthand "ROFL" (rolling on the floor laughing)
- In the same vein, though not a caption contest entry sensu stricto, is this.
- Mr Stein is going regret his NHM visit. James F. McGrath at Exploring our Matrix did some photoshopping and captioning.
- Wow. Who would have guessed that this post would receive over
10002000 hits in less than threejust five hours? Thanks, PZ...